So, we didn't get an 8am departure. It was 9:15. But hey, it wasn't 10!
| This picture doesn't do justice to the line of cars waiting to get in to Yellowstone - at least 3/4 mile long |
The drive north to Glacier is a beautiful one, through valleys with mountain ranges everywhere. The further and more remote we got I couldn't help but notice how few people were on the roads. It was enough to make me wonder what kind of wilderness we were headed in to. There's this funny thing that happens when you're in a super populated place like Yellowstone - you know you're in the right place. There's this sense of security in numbers (albeit equal parts frustration for the same reason). When you start to get off the beaten path (and believe me, Glacier is not necessarily "off" the path, just way, WAY less people) it's like everyone knows something you don't.
I had a lot of time to think today. The wide open road and sleeping kids in the backseat provide these things.
All day long, well, everyday really, I try to point out the little things and the beauty that surrounds us, whether it's a cool cloud formation, or a huge mountain, or a beautiful lake or a cool old house, I know the girls look at the world through different eyes. It occurred to me that try as I might, I can't choose their memories. They will likely remember the time I freaked out at them both because I was so maxed out from their bickering. I have to let go of "the experience" I want them to have and hope that this will provide some kind of foundation for them to explore the world on their own as they grow in to young women.
Then I started to think about who we've seen so far. A huge smile spread across my face as I realized my kids have created a bond, a unique bond, with the kids of some of the most important people in my life. I didn't ask them to get along. They weren't doing me any favors. They just connected and disappeared in to play town. Pretty cool.
As we were on I90, and we passed through Bozeman one last time, I looked up and saw a rock wall with cars parked below off the highway. I can remember going there years ago to climb and I suddenly realized something that's been missing in my life - spontaneity and adventure. Yes, I know, this trip checks off both those boxes. But at home, our life is filled with routine and predictability. We've settled in to a comfortable existence. Yes, a certain level of this has to do with having kids. Having children changes things, no matter how little. I wouldn't change these things for the world. Is there a middle ground?
We pulled in to West Glacier, no line of cars waiting at the entrance with camping wide open. We found a perfect place to call home for the night at Apgar Campground, right on Lake MacDonald. I can't wait to explore tomorrow.
| Our home for the night in Glacier at Apgar |
| Smooshy face love |
| How I feel about this place |
| Beauty |
| Hanging out |
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI love Glacier NP! I'm so sad we missed, we would've loved to meet you here! And the girls are so going to remember this trip forever! You are amazing and providing them with a great experience.
ReplyDelete