June 23-24 - Tuesday we had to leave Glacier. Through this process I've come to realize something (not new) about myself. Ok, not so much "realize" per se, perhaps more "admit publicly".... I procrastinate (really bad) when I don't want to do something. I found a million reasons to not leave Glacier quickly; I needed to take that photo, we needed to get coffee, we needed to check out that gift store, we needed to check out the other gift store, we needed to get ice, we needed to check out another gift store, we needed to see at least 1 bear. Well, eventually we hit the road (without any bear sightings) but didn't get very far because we needed to stop at a big super market and restock some of the non-essentials. Needless to say, I did
not want to leave Glacier. I lamented. A lot.
 |
| Can't. stop. taking. pictures. Goodbye Glacier..... Until next time. |
We had a big drive ahead of us (610 miles). Next stop was Bellingham, WA but I knew we wouldn't make it in 1 day, especially not when you hit the road at 2pm. In fact, today, I had no idea how far I would make it..... I was just going to drive. GPS said it would take almost a full 2 hours less if I stuck to the inter-state. I'm over the inter-state! Until we're hightailing it home, I'm sticking to secondary roads. The experience is truly worth the extra time on the road, even the girls agree (and I think that says something).
 |
| The Flathead Mountains looking amazing with beautiful fields of yellow at it's base |
 |
| Yup. Welcome to Paradise, friends. |
The drive is spectacular. I think I made us a full hour even later because I had to stop so many times to take pictures. I detoured in to Hot Springs, MT hoping to find said hot springs. What I found was a super sketchy pay-to-soak-not-sure-if-they-are-even-open hot springs..... we continued on. Down through Lolo National Forest and eventually in to Idaho where we (reluctantly) had to take I90 for a short 150 miles.
Getting to WA Hwy 20 was no easy feat, but totally worth it. At this point, we're approaching dinner time (the reality was I was trying to get in more miles and passed dinner time, when the girls started to self-combust was when I thought I should really pull over and feed everyone) so I pulled over in any fine spot that would suffice for dinner and got the deed done. I had pulled up "campgrounds on highway 20" a few hours before (I was planning ahead!) and found a KOA in Winthrop, WA (although it isn't my preferred way to camp..... I'm becoming a fan of KOA's on this trip) - so I knew my estimated arrival time was about 10:30pm.
 |
| Such a controversial plant, this. Some bodies accept it, other do not. |
 |
| The wide open road. Literally. Standing in the middle of the road. |
 |
| It was all so captivating. |
 |
| Dinner, literally on the side of the road. A bit late, I'll have to work on that. |
 |
| I know I posted this before on Facebook, but it really is the weirdest thing I've seen. I wish you could zoom in on the faces. It's all so bizarre. The penguins, the pic, the Christmas tinsel. It's literally their greeting to you as you enter the town. |
How I know I'm getting old - my night driving is becoming more and more sketchy (my body hurts, my hands look like old-lady hands, the greys are becoming more prevalent, I'm tired.... oh, sorry). Everything reflecting had this blur effect and I was hyper paranoid about critters in the night. Hitting a deer would both traumatize me, and likely be a show-stopper for this trip. In the dark, we pulled in to the KOA and I was eager for sunrise to see my surroundings.
There is something to be said for waking up in a new place you haven't seen yet. It's like a present you get to unwrap and experience for the first time. It's hard to explain. The scenery changes so quickly out here, from beautiful farmland, to unmanageable plains, to mountains, that I had no idea what I was going to wake up to. Lucky for me, it was a beautiful sight.
 |
| A river runs through it. |
 |
| Totally random at the campground. I thought it was hysterical, Mckenzie was totally grossed out after she climbed out and saw what her face was on. |
1. If you're driving across WA - take Hwy 20. 2. If you're on Hwy 20 plan a nice stop in the town of Winthrop. This place is such a cool little spot, seemingly in the middle of no where. It's the last town you come upon before climbing in to the North Cascades. I'm stoked that I chose to set camp where I did and not miss out on this little gem (and have a full tank of gas, I had no idea how long it was going to be until the next fill-up).
 |
| A cool mural on a wall depicting all the local mountains in the area |
 |
| Winthrop, WA - not a great representation, totally better then this picture |
 |
| Sheri's - had quite possibly the best salted caramel ice cream I've ever had |
 |
| Just a little more town flavor |
 |
| Sheri's was so cool. Could have sat and listened to the birds forever and a day. |
While we only had less then 3 hours remaining to Bellingham, my buddy Steve, who we were on our way to visit, had told me not to miss the pass overlook, and if we had time, to hike Blue Lake. By the time we hit Blue Lake it was well after 1 and the sign said it was 2.2 miles to the lake and over 1000' vertical climb. I was wondering if I should put the task to the girls, but after ice cream in Winthrop I knew they at least had some energy. Not only did they accept the mission, they crushed the hike, even with me pushing them from behind because I knew we still had a couple hour drive ahead of us. I was completely impressed.
 |
| View up the pass. Gorgeous peaks. |
 |
| Loving each other and checking out the scenery |
 |
| Look! I made a photo! |
 |
| A ruined old cabin on the hike to Blue Lake |
 |
| The girls did it - so impressed |
 |
| This was all them... |

As we drove out of the Cascades I took note that gas was low, like really low. The lowest I have allowed it to get during the trip this far. At this point, we're still in the middle of no where with no civilization in sight. My chest began to get tight. Finally, one of the first establishments we came across was a gas
station - they must figure a lot of people come out of the mountains
with empty tanks. It was $3.39/gal! Highway robbery! Just because people
are desperate they charge what they want! No way was I going to let
them get the best of me. I was going to go to the next station. Then the light went on. Perhaps that gas station was not just the first one you come to out of the mountains, but the only one around here for miles. Perhaps passing it by and teaching them a lesson was my bad. I had just enough bars on my phone that I Googled "closest gas station to me" to which Google sent me on a total wild goose chase.... no gas existed. Damn you Google (I loved you once, but today you wronged me.... technology - 2, Tori - 0). Fortunately, gas was not that much further. I was saved (and still paid $3.39/gal).
We made it to Bellingham where we visiting my good friend Steve and his family. What's amazing about this friendship is Steve and I met when I was backpacking in Europe after college. He's 10 years my senior (sorry Steve) and we've spent less then 10 days together in the 15 years we've known each other but for whatever reason we've always been able to pick up like we've known each other our entire lives. I'm incredibly grateful to have this friendship and be able to meet his daughter on this trip.
Winthrop is great! Love the beautiful foto of you and the girls. And I so love that you keep waking-up somewhere new with no idea of what it looks like!
ReplyDeleteLauren and I stopped in Winthrop on our driver over the Cascades on route 20. Loved the cowboy/western theme. Beautiful ride. We were there in summer and there was still snow in the pass.
ReplyDelete