July 25 - I'm finding it harder and harder to leave places knowing the experiences are coming to an end. To say I wasn't rushing out of Pagosa Springs is an understatement. We only had a 2 hour drive to the Great Sand Dunes so had plenty of time to find a camping spot and still got out to play.
This place is otherworldly. Typically the "river" is already under the sand by this time of year, but CO has had so much rain. It was nice to have some reprieve from the sun. The river was amazing, changing course constantly and surging. The fact that it even exists is amazing. The girls had a blast getting dirty and playing with the magnetite.
 |
| How cool is this deserted house we passed on the way to the dunes? |
 |
| Fun & freedom |
 |
| Pondering the water and the sand |
 |
| The ripples and waves came and went as the water changed and surged. |
 |
| How does this even exist? |
 |
| Playing with magnetite |
That night, we went back to our campsite and befriended our neighbors. There was something uniquely amazing about this encounter. I haven't been able to put it in to words and I'm struggling still as I search for how to explain our meeting and new friendship. In my life, I know I've been judged. I've been judged for where I live, for how I dress and how I act. I'm sure of it. In return, I've also judged, though I hate to admit it. I wonder how many people can say they really truly have never judged anyone. I know we all aspire to be a certain way, but how many people can say they walk that talk (try as I might)? My point, as I try to gently walk this line, is that had I snubbed the opportunity to walk over and meet our neighbors, a moment would have been lost. A moment for Sierra and Mckenzie to learn how wonderful people can be. Their stories were amazing and their backgrounds colorful. I truly wonder if our paths will cross somewhere down the road. Meeting them was pure happenstance. A moment I'm so grateful for and will relive every time I'm provided a chance to meet someone that, well, would be easy to walk away from and never think twice. I will forever think twice.
 |
| A horrible picture - but all that we have to remind us of Skye, Troy, Corlis & Dick. Skye grew up on an Indian Reservation and at the age of 8 was driving a truck for her grandfather delivering the moonshine he made. She went on to Berkley in '68, a very interesting time to be there. Her words "it depended on what side of the police lines you were on"..... |
Our plans for Sunday were to hike up High Dune (the tallest dune in the front range). To do this we needed to get an early start so we could hike before the sun starts to heat the sand with magnetite in it. The sand can get to 160 degrees making it brutal to hike in. It was overcast and perfect for hiking. Renting a sled for the way down was key.... though when you start to pick up speed and put your feet down to break you get sand e v e r y w h e r e.
 |
| Our home for the night |
 |
| Sunrise shadows |
 |
| Woooohooooo |
 |
| The girls - way, way out there. |
 |
| Having fun and going wherever |
 |
| We made it to the top |
 |
| Playing with the sand |
 |
| Hiking the sled up for the next run down |
People told me it would take an hour to hike up. I'm not sure what planet they were on. Every single step up was half a step back in the sand. When we were done we were fried. Trouble was, I still had to drive. We were leaving our last national park, sadly, and headed due east. I decided, last minute, to head north, to Denver. I wasn't ready to hit the flats. The girls and I were welcomed by amazing family friends Cary & Cassie Hertert and stayed just. one. more. night. In the Rockies.
 |
| The one. The only. Cary Hertert. |
This is my favorite post of all. We all judge. But learning and opening our hearts as we go is the best gift we can give ourselves. So, so, so happy for you. Every little moment that you shared with us has made me change a little bit, too. Loads of love and mad respect for you, Tori.
ReplyDelete