Pages

STATS

Total Miles Driven: as of 7/31/2015 - 10,739 miles
Days On The Road: 50
States visited: 27; NH, VT, NY, Ontario Canada, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, back to Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York (again), Connecticut, Massachusetts, NEW HAMPSHIRE (again!)

Monday, July 20, 2015

Lessons From A 9 Year Old

June 18 - 20 - Originally I had a master plan of hitting Zion, Bryce, Arches & Canyonlands while in Utah. But our extra night (which was totally worth it) at Zion changed things. I was scrambling to get to Glenwood Springs, CO on the weekend so I could play with my good friend Polly and her family. This meant a drive-through of Bryce. My GPS had me taking I15 all the way to Bryce which was a bit disappointing as we've avoided the interstate for easily 90% of the trip thus far. I ended up taking a random exit to get gas and it happened to be a side road to Bryce. It was a gorgeous drive (highway 12) with a ton of elevation gained. We found ourselves in the Dixie National Forest - which is something to put on your maps for a visit!
Dixie National Forest and Red Canyon were awesome - more time needed to explore!
The hoodoos were amazing




The drive to Glenwood, through Western Utah, was pretty cool. The landscape was dynamic and reminiscent of some of the parks we have visited. It was also a brutal drive as I was intent on arriving Saturday night so we could play Sunday, it was raining and we weren't due to arrive until 11:30pm..... I was shattered. I've learned, on this trip, I can no longer be a nighttime road warrior. As the sun sets, so do my eyes.
My rear view - never gets old
Nope - not a park, this is I70

The girls have been amazing - and I'm not just saying that. They have been unbelievable road trip companions - no expectations and moving as the wind blows. It's been an exceptional opportunity to learn more about who they are as well as how I chose to respond to them. I'm proud to say I've been able to treasure every high and low. With no distractions it's easy to focus on the needs of the girls and be present - something I continually fight to achieve at home. My inability to provide the attention they seek at home is what leads us to tense moments. My challenge will be incorporating this lesson in our every day life.

The girls, though happy to be anywhere, keep asking for "one more night" with every new location. I think they are feeling what I am - the need to chill. It's not life on the road that is exhausting (though it is a lot of work), it's the fact that in the past weeks, we have yet to stay anywhere for any length of time. The longest we have stayed anywhere, so far, is 4 nights in OR. Everything else has been a max of 2 nights.
Kelly and Sierra

All 6 monkeys

On our way to Mushroom Rock

That's not perspective, it really is a vertical drop to the valley floor


Kelly jumping over said vertical drop. Mark my words, you'll hear of this boy in a few years

Strategically placing Love Rocks

Hanging with the Hilleke boys means lots of tramp time. Only 1 bloody nose.... not bad.

How many kids can you fit on a see-saw swing? Apparently, 5.

Hanging at Glenwood Springs Hot Springs

A little down time

Redstone Hot Springs - the real deal



As we were hiking up to Mushroom Rock I had a great lesson from a 9 year old. One of my stand-by sayings to the girls (when they want to do something) is "go ahead, but don't come crying to me if you get hurt" (which, by the way, wow, sounds way more harsh written). The point, is that I love for them to try things, but want them to be aware there are risks and sometimes tears come out of those choices. At any rate, Sierra wanted to do some rock jumping (of which she has seriously hurt herself in the past) and so I said that (not-so-awesome) phrase. Suddenly I heard Kelly chime in "Don't say that! She won't get hurt!" and just like that I realized I'm completely sending the wrong message (though had I written the phrase a long time ago I might have realized sooner). Kelly was absolutely right. That doesn't tell her that I believe in her. I wasn't teaching them how to make choices and decisions - a more important skill to assess risk. I was merely shoving off the responsibility of any consequences that might come from their decisions - not helping them take that leap. Wow - Kelly has no idea how much his words shook me. I'm prepared to keep learning.... even at 38 years old from a 9 year old.

We had a lot of fun at Polly's and the girls adored spending so much time with the Hilleke boys. The time spent with kids is as eagerly anticipated as the next park visit. I think it's pretty amazing that the girls have seen so many of my dear friends kids, and met so many people. I also think it's pretty cool that they can see that we have friends all over the country, not just in Amherst. It's a big world out there with so much to be explored and it's a wonderful thing when you can roll in to a friends house and share it with them.

1 comment:

  1. Astounds me how kids can just pick up right where they left off, even with time & distance between them. Such a Grand adventure Tori!

    ReplyDelete