June 18 - 20 years ago my mother and I drove up to Montana from Salt Lake on a whim. I was looking at colleges and we figured since we were so "close" (6 hours) we might as well make the trip (thank you Mum for being so spontaneous and making that fateful drive). As we drove through the night we could see the green eyes glowing along the road and the silhouettes of grand mountains along the corridor through Yellowstone and the Gallatin Canyon. My excitement was rising, eager to see my surroundings in daylight. The next morning, when I drew the curtains in our hotel room, I knew, quite literally in that instant, that this was where I was going to call home for the next 4 years.
I'm sure everyone has that place. That place that when you get there, you take a deep breath and your soul feels at ease. If you don't, travel the world until you find it.
My first priority was to get the blood flowing. I had been stagnant in a car for way too long. We packed up the kids bikes and headed for some trails for a quick run. I wish my phone could capture the smells along this run, the flowers, the grasses, the sage.... it soaks in to your body. The trails here are prevalent. Basically anywhere in the town you can quickly access a trail and run next to streams with kids and dogs and not worry about cars. I wish this experience was as readily available back home. I wish a lot of these experiences were available back home. But then, it wouldn't be home, it would be Montana. Hmmmmmmm.....
 |
| Running the trails with the girls up ahead and the Bridgers in the background |
Next stop was to bring the girls up to campus. I tried to explain to Dan why having the girls visit here was such a trip to me. In short, Bozeman was a place where I grew in to me, where I was selfishly running my life in between road trips, skiing, backpacking and a bit of school. My responsibilities were nil (ok, except for getting to school and passing classes and the occasional job). Bringing the girls here, my greatest responsibility, and having that collide with memories of irresponsible hilarity, was such a crazy juxtaposition.
 |
| Hanging out in front of Montana Hall |
 |
| We walked in to the old business school building - Reid Hall, and found one of my old lecture rooms |
 |
| Walking around campus |
 |
| My last house where I lived with 3 amazing guys |
 |
| We walked in to my old dorm building and one of the rooms was open, Sierra got a taste for dorm life |
 |
| Hanging out at the local BMX track |
 |
| Best friends |
 |
| Sierra hung with little Sam like it was her job |
While I've been back to Bozeman a couple times since graduating, I haven't been to campus or returned to any of my home-away-from-homes in 15 years. Crazy.
Watching the girls walk around in a place so special to me, making friends with one of my best friends kids so easily, resonated deep inside. It all just felt so right. Extra bonus was when Sierra stated "This is where I want to go"...... I might have inadvertently planted that seed.
Goosebumps! You are so lucky to have found two places on earth that you love enough to call home. Xoxo
ReplyDelete