Pages

STATS

Total Miles Driven: as of 7/31/2015 - 10,739 miles
Days On The Road: 50
States visited: 27; NH, VT, NY, Ontario Canada, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, back to Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Pennsylvania, New York (again), Connecticut, Massachusetts, NEW HAMPSHIRE (again!)

Monday, June 1, 2015

The Art of Preparation

I'm not quite sure what happened.... I blinked, and suddenly we have less then 2 weeks until departure. Two weeks.

Did you know there are approximately 253 different types of car organizers? If you know me at all, you'll know that keeping my car clean is a major challenge for me so even attempting to "organize" seems daunting. I'm totally not one to pass the buck, but I will say that my backseat residents are really like, 75% of the problem. Another 10% would be my 4-legged children. So really, I'm only like, 15% problematic.

I'll be sure to post updates of the car as we go along. Can we really maintain the cleanliness for 6 weeks on the road? Will the organization tools work wonders for this messy threesome? I was hoping that getting the girls involved in the cleaning process might help instill a little appreciation for that peaceful feeling when things aren't chaotic.

I really do need to work on my "expectations".

Aside from cleaning the car, making lists, starting to pack, trying to think of everything I could possibly need (let's not forget my keen ability to over-pack), and making lists for my lists, I'm generally spending about 80% of my day thinking about the trip in some way, shape, or form.

Some things to know about me (if you don't already): I tend to over-think. Everything. My thoughts are generally all over the place (which should make blogging like a choose-your-own-adventure book for anyone reading). I'm not one of those people that really "plans". This last fact still has me scratching my head on whether that will be a benefit or my demise on this trip. I'd like to think it's the first option. And one more thing about me; I'm usually pretty optimistic. Maybe realistically optimistic? Maybe that's why I'm going on the road with my girls for 6 weeks and I've heard a whole bunch of "wow, you're so brave" comments.

Back to the trip, sorry, I got distracted.

We leave on the 12th, bright and early. We'll be making our way west headed to some amazing places like Lake Huron, Traverse City and the great state of Iowa to visit amazing friends. I've explained to Sierra all the amazing natural wonders we'll be seeing on our journey and she's most excited for Wisconsin Dells, the World's Biggest Water Park. I can't blame her really.When asking Mckenzie to show me how excited she is for our trip this is what she gave me.

To everyone who has shared with me their excitement about this trip, I can't thank you enough. The excitement and inspiration people are feeling from this is circulating and getting me more excited for the trip. Please, keep the comments coming!

*Disclaimer - I'm only going to admit this once. This blog might not actually be primarily for the girls. I might actually enjoy dumping my over-processed, jumbled and often confused thoughts in to the web.

9 comments:

  1. You have the best attitude!! I am with ya, sister! Why bother doing anything if you are not optimistic?!! Rock it, mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In your frenzy to overpack, please remember that there are many (too many) stores along the way. On one of my road trips, I counted Walmarts and let me just say, there were many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janis - I totally get it, it's not like I'm going to a 3rd world country. But if there's one thing that drives me crazy, it's being somewhere and knowing what I need at home! I'll try to keep a level head :)

      Delete
  3. Organize everything, but expect to roll into your driveway in total chaos! 😛. It's all good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I have to admit that you may have inherited some of your characteristics from me, so I apologize. Procrastination, making lists, etc., but I'm thrilled that you have your own sense of excitement and optimism about everything. I can't wait to read each blog and hear about where you have been, what you have seen, what the girls' reactions are to everything, etc. By the way, how long is it since Sierra was car sick, or shouldn't I bring up the subject (excuse the pun)?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mum, I did buy some serious stock of dramamine but wonder if we should try the accupressure wrist bands first?

      Delete
  5. I'm excited for your girlfriend adventure! I'm looking forward to reading your blog posts - I love your rambling, then I can read like I think ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to get a pack of twizzlers with the girls for old times sake! :)

      Delete
  6. I prefer the word "analytical" mind :)
    Go U girls!

    ReplyDelete